Treatment of strike period in respect of Gramin Dak Sevaks
Government of India
Ministry of Communications
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, Sansad Marg
New Delhi 110001.
Subject : Treatment of strike period in respect of Gramin Dak Sevaks.
The undersigned is directed to refer to DG Posts letter No.22-04/2004-GDS dated 13th December, 2007 regarding treatment of strike period in respect of Gramin Dak Sevaks specified in Rule 23 of GDS (Conduct and Engagement) Rules-2011.
2. The Postal Service Board, in its 3rd Meeting held on 11th February, 2019 reviewed the existing guidelines of treatment of strike in case of violation of Rule 23 of GDS (Conduct and Engagement) Rules-2011. The Postal Services Board has approved following guidelines in supersession of all previous orders regarding treatment of strike period :-
- The period of strike will not only result in deduction of TRCA for the period of absence during the strike but also break in engagement on account of incitement, violence and sabotage. GDS who resort to action of the above kind violate Rule 23 of GDS (Conduct and Engagement) Rules, 2011 and disciplinary action can also be taken against them. It may be noted that the list of activities which are covered under the definition of strike as enumerated above is only illustrative and not exhaustive. It only clarifies the position in respect of practices which are often resorted to at present.
- GDS who is absent from engagement hours for participating in the strike shall not be entitled to draw TRCA, DA, bonus, Paid leave TRCA etc.
- The strike period shall not be adjusted or regularised by grant of any kind of leave.
- If, it is specifically ordered by the competent authority after show cause notice on account of incitement, violence and sabotage, the strike period would also result in break in engagement.
- The strike period would not qualify towards engagement period for payment of GDS Gratuity, Severance amount at the time of discharge from engagement.
- The strike period would not qualify towards engagement period for absorption of GDS against Multi-Tasking Staff (MTS) posts, which is done on seniority basis.
- The strike period would not qualify towards engagement period of GDS to appear at the LDCE for the cadre of Postal Assistant/Sorting Assistant/Postmen /Mail Guard/Multi-Tasking Staff etc.
3. The above action as per para (i) to (vii) may also be taken without prejudice to any disciplinary action that may be taken against such GDS.
4. These instructions will come into effect from the date of issue.
5. Hindi version will follow.
Assistant Director General (GDS/PCC)